I have been trying to create the perfect vanilla cupcake for some time now. There have been some serious trials and errors along the way (they still tasted good when they were smothered in custard!), but I think I have finally created the best vanilla cupcake ever!
These cupcakes are super moist and are packed with awesome vanilla flavor. The buttercream is lusciously sweet and the sprinkles are just fun!
Too be honest, this recipe has been about a year in the making. Every time that I have made vanilla cupcakes in the past, they haven’t been quite right. It usually came down to texture (either too dry or too dense). There’s nothing worse than a chewy cupcake!
The recipe is really easy and doesn’t require too much effort. The batter is very runny, but don’t worry, they bake up perfectly. The secret to the ultra-moistness is heating the butter, water, oil and vanilla together in a small saucepan over a low heat, until everything is melted. Once this mixture cools slightly, you mix it into the flour and sugar mix. Just to add even more moisture, I add in some buttermilk, 1 egg and some vanilla paste (for an extra vanilla kick).
They are so yummy that you might have trouble stopping yourself from eating the entire batch (I know I did)!
Very Vanilla Cupcakes
- 250ml self-raising flour, sifted
- 250ml sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 62.5g butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 125g salted butter
- 3 & 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp milk
- Sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole cupcake pan with paper cupcake cases.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water, oil and vanilla extract and stir over a low heat until it all melts & starts to simmer. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 min.
- Mix the sifted flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla paste together in a small jug.
- Mix the cooled vanilla butter mixture into your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in the buttermilk, egg and vanilla paste mixture until it’s all combined.
- Fill your prepared cupcake pans with the batter. It will be very runny.
- Bake for about 15 min in your preheated oven and allow to cool in the pan.
- Buttercream: Beat the butter and vanilla paste until smooth. Add in the sifted icing sugar, 1 cup at a time and mix well. Add in 1-2 tbsp of the milk until your frosting is at a pipeable consistency, i.e. it should be soft, but still hold its shape and not drop off the spoon when lifted out of the bowl.
- Once your cupcakes are cool, pipe swirls of your vanilla buttercream onto the cupcakes and top with sprinkles.