Coffee cake, chocolate ganache and marshmallow frosting all come together in this yummy filled cupcake.
These cupcakes are not too sweet and will satisfy your cupcake cravings. When you bite into it, you get a very subtle coffee flavor, then a burst of creamy chocolate ganache and finally the sweet fluffiness of the marshmallow frosting.
All the elements of this cupcake are really easy to make and don’t require too much effort. I always make the chocolate ganache first, so it has enough time to cool and then chill in the fridge. All you do is heat the cream in a small saucepan on the stove until it starts boiling, then you remove it from the heat and pour it over your chopped chocolate (which is in a heatproof bowl at this point). Leave the mixture for 5 min, then whisk it until it’s smooth and glossy. Easy as that!
The cupcakes really don’t take long to assemble. You just cut the center out of each cupcake (I have a nifty cupcake corer to do this), fill each one with the chilled chocolate ganache, then pipe a swirl of marshmallow frosting on top and sprinkle some grated chocolate on it as a finishing touch!
They are fantastic with a cup of coffee or tea and are perfect at any time of day (I sneakily had 1 for breakfast). Really hope you guys enjoy these yummy little filled cupcakes!
- 62.5g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 extra large eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee (4 tsp coffee powder to 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml cream
- 150g milk chocolate, chopped
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 80g milk chocolate, grated
- Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it starts to boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Leave for 5 min.
- Whisk the chocolate cream mixture until all the chocolate has melted and it becomes glossy.
- Allow to cool for 1 hour, then chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place cupcake cases into a 12 hole cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Mix in sifted flour and baking powder, alternating with the brewed coffee.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the batter.
- Fill cupcake cases to 2/3 full and bake in a preheated oven for about 15 min. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Beat with a hand mixer until it all combines and becomes white & fluffy.
- Transfer the mixture to a stand mixer and beat on high for 10 min, until it becomes light & fluffy.
- Core the cupcakes with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife.
- Fill your cupcakes with the chocolate ganache.
- Pipe swirls of marshmallow fluff frosting on top of your filled cupcakes.
- Top with grated chocolate.