Soft vanilla cupcakes. Velvety lemon curd. Fluffy marshmallow frosting. Three of my favorite things wrapped into one awesome little cupcake. I love filled cupcakes. Biting into one of these luscious treats is always fun because, even though you filled the cupcakes yourself, you still get a lovely surprise when a sweet gooey filling oozes out of it!
These filled cupcakes are a bit time consuming to put together, but all the elements are really easy to make. My lemon curd recipe is so simple, anyone can make it! The bonus about the lemon curd recipe is that there’s always enough left over to eat on some scones or just straight out of the fridge.
First, you need to make the lemon curd, so it has enough time to cool down. Combine cornflour, caster sugar, lemon juice, water and finely chopped lemon zest in a small saucepan. Bring it to the boil and when it starts to thicken, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat.
It should look almost Vaseline-like when you’ve removed it from the heat. Now stir in the butter and egg yolks and you’ll end up with a luscious lemon curd.
Lovely, velvety smooth lemon curd! Leave it to cool while you make the cupcakes.
The vanilla cupcakes are very basic and easy to make. Cream butter and sugar together, add in your egg yolks & vanilla and mix well. Add in your flour & milk and finally fold in whipped egg whites. Bake for 15 min in a preheated oven.
Once the cupcakes and lemon curd have cooled, make the marshmallow fluff and put it in a piping bag.
Core your cupcakes (with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife). You can eat the cupcake centers as you go (that’s what I do, haha), or keep them for later.
Fill your cupcakes with the luscious lemon curd (I also eat some of the curd as I go along!).
Pipe lovely little swirls of fluffy marshmallow frosting on top of your filled cupcakes and they’re ready to serve!
Gorgeous little luscious lemon curd filled vanilla cupcakes with fluffy marshmallow frosting are the perfect weekend treat. Please check out the full, printable recipe below.
Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 60g butter, chopped
- 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for marshmallow fluff)
- 62.5g butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Marshmallow fluff frosting:
- 3 egg whites (reserved egg whites from lemon curd)
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Make lemon curd: Combine sugar & cornflour in a small saucepan & gradually stir in juice, zest and water until it’s smooth. Cook until the mixture boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 min. Remove from the heat and stir in butter & egg yolks. Allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole cupcake pan with cupcake cases.
- Cream butter and sugar together, add in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add milk, a little at a time, alternating with the sifted flour, baking powder & salt, mix well.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks & fold into your batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan and bake for 15 min. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan.
- Make the marshmallow fluff: Put all the ingredients into a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Beat with a hand mixer until it all combines and becomes white & fluffy. Transfer the mixture to a stand mixer and beat on high for 10 min, until it becomes light & fluffy.
- Core the cupcakes with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife.
- Fill your cupcakes with the lemon curd.
- Pipe swirls of marshmallow fluff frosting on top of your filled cupcakes.
Notes: Store your left over lemon curd in an airtight container in the fridge. The lemon curd works great on scones or just eat a spoonful straight out of the tub!