Moist, gooey chocolate cupcakes smothered in feather light marshmallow frosting. Absolute heaven!
As I get older, I’ve found that I can’t quite handle super sweet buttercream anymore (the exact same buttercream that I used to adore when I was a kid). I find myself craving a more balanced cupcake-to-frosting sugar ratio and this recipe delivers just that. The cupcake packs a rich chocolate punch and the frosting is a lovely, subtle addition that doesn’t overwhelm your sweet tooth!
These chocolate cupcakes are easy to make and always come out perfect.
The heart of these chocolate cupcakes is the melted butter, water, cocoa and oil mix.
The cupcake batter is quite runny and it can get a bit messy when you fill your cupcake cases.
After about 15 min in the oven, the cupcakes are perfectly puffed up.
The marshmallow fluff is quick and delicious (I just end up eating it straight out of the mixer).
The first step in the 2 step process to make marshmallow fluff is to whisk all your ingredients in a bain marie (bowl over a pot of simmering hot water), until they are white and fluffy. You then transfer the mixture to a stand mixer and let it go for 10 min!
I decided to amp up the chocolate flavor by decorating these bad boys with grated chocolate, but they would be equally as good topped with nuts, sprinkles or just more marshmallow fluff!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
- 250ml self-raising flour
- 250ml sugar
- 2.5ml baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 62.5g butter
- 125ml water
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole muffin pan with cupcake cases.
- Heat butter, water, cocoa and oil in a small saucepan, over medium heat until everything is melted and starts to boil. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk and egg in a jug.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the chocolate mix and stir until it’s well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 15 min.
- Remove from oven and cool, in the pan, for 1 hour.
To make the frosting:
- Put all of the ingredients into a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer until all of the ingredients combine and the mixture becomes white and thickened.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and whip on high for 10 min, until it becomes fluffy and doubles in size.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled, fill a piping bag with your marshmallow frosting and pipe swirls onto each of your cupcakes.
- Top with grated chocolate, nuts or sprinkles.