These cupcakes are so moist and delicious that one cupcake just won’t be enough!
I have to be honest, I had never heard of red velvet cake until about 5 years ago. I had just started my cupcake business and was focusing on the classic chocolate & vanilla combos, but I kept getting requests for “red velvet” (having no idea what people were talking about). At the time I was completely ignorant to this lovely little cake. Just after I started receiving this strange cupcake request, I received a new cookbook and, low & behold (perhaps a sign from the universe), there was a red velvet cake recipe! I immediately gave the recipe a try and after a few tweaks, my own special recipe was born!
It’s really easy and always turns out super moist. Just top these little beauties with a swirl of luscious cream cheese frosting and you’ll end up with a decadent treat that everyone will love.
Lovely red (thanks to Moirs Crimson Pink Food Colouring) cupcake batter, all ready for the oven.
I really hope you enjoy eating these cupcakes as much as I enjoyed eating the one below 🙂
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 500ml Self-raising cake flour
- 7.5ml baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250ml buttermilk
- 15ml white vinegar
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 30ml cocoa powder
- 30ml red food coloring
- 180g butter, softened
- 375ml sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g full fat cream cheese
- 900g icing sugar
- 5ml vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 x 12 hole muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla & eggs.
- Combine cocoa & food coloring, in a small bowl, to form a paste. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a clean bowl, add flour & buttermilk mixture, in 2 batches, and mix well.
- Add the cocoa food coloring paste to the batter and mix very well, until your batter is 1 solid red color.
- Pour cupcake batter into your prepared muffin pans and bake for 15 min.
- Cool in the pans.
To make the frosting:
- Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla and icing sugar and mix until you have a pipeable consistency frosting.
- Pipe swirls of cream cheese frosting onto your cooled cupcakes.