I’ve had many failed attempts at making brownies. They are either under baked or end up being too cakey. I’ve increased and decreased the amount of chocolate with varied levels of failure (the failures still tasted good though).
This brownie recipe is seriously gooey and rich. It’s a simply 2 part recipe (1 part for the brownie & 1 for the caramel). You basically dump all the dry ingredients for the brownies in a bowl, then you melt your chocolate & butter together and add it to your dry mixture. Finally you whisk in your eggs and your brownie mix is ready to go!
The salted caramel is easy to make too. All you do is throw all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring it to the boil. You cook it for about 12 mins or until it turns a lovely golden brown color (don’t worry about the darker bits in the caramel, that’s just some bits that caught on the bottom of the saucepan and you won’t notice them once the brownie is cooked). If you want your caramel to be a bit saltier, you can just sprinkle some sea salt on top of it when you’ve poured it over the brownie mix.
I really hope you enjoy these super gooey, sweet and caramely brownies!
Salted Caramel Brownies
For the brownies:
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3 large eggs
- 120g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the caramel:
- 385g sweetened condensed milk
- 45ml golden syrup
- 45g butter
- 45ml sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Grease and line a 20 x 20cm square pan and let the baking paper hang over 2 sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugars, cocoa and salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter & chocolate over a low heat until it’s smooth. Remove it from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel by combining the condensed milk, golden syrup, butter, sugar & salt in a small saucepan. Heat it over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to the boil and cook for about 12 mins, stirring constantly until it thickens and turns a golden brown color. Remove from the heat & set aside.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mix and stir to combine.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Pour half the brownie mix into the prepared pan and top with the salted caramel.
- Pour the remaining brownie mixture on top of the caramel and swirl a bit with a knife for a slightly marbled effect.
- Bake for 30 – 35 mins.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan before removing them and cutting into squares.