The peppermint caramel fridge tart is a beloved South African favourite. Since childhood, it’s always been on of my all-time favourite desserts. It’s easy to make, doesn’t require any baking and only uses a few ingredients. The traditional way of serving this fridge tart (the way my Mom used to make it) is to layer the whole biscuits and caramel filling, in a square dish and then serve in pudding bowls.
I’ve decided to try and update the look of this awesome dessert, so it wouldn’t look out of place at a fancy dinner party! So please check out my full recipe at the end of this post!
Get all of your ingredients together: Orley Whip, Tennis Biscuits, Nestle Caramel Treat, gelatine, butter & mint chocolate.
Grease and line the base of a 20cm springform pan and press your crushed Tennis Biscuit and melted butter mix into the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
While the base is chilling, whip the Orley Whip until you get to the stiff peak stage.
Beat in the Nestle Caramel treat, in 2 batches, until it’s well incorporated, then mix in the dissolved gelatine.
Pour the caramel filling on top of your biscuit base, then top with grated mint chocolate and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Once the tart is set, remove it from the pan and enjoy!
Peppermint Caramel Tart
- 360g Nestle Caramel Treat
- 250ml Orley Whip Dessert Topping
- 200g Tennis Biscuits
- 80g Cadburys mint chocolate, grated
- 2 tsp gelatine
- 80g butter, melted
- Grease & line the base of a 20 cm springform pan.
- Crush the Tennis Biscuits (either in a Ziplock bag with a rolling pin, or in a food processor).
- Stir in melted butter and HALF of the grated chocolate and press into the base of the prepared pan.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- While the base is chilling, whip the Orley Whip until you get stiff peaks.
- Beat in the caramel, in 2 batches, until it’s well incorporated.
- Dissolve gelatine in a bit of warm water (just enough to cover the gelatine, about 1 tbsp) and beat it into the caramel mixture.
- Pour over the biscuit base in your prepared pan and top with the remaining grated chocolate.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When the tart is set, remove it from the pan and cut into slices to serve.